A women-driven library.
Thanks to the efforts of local women, the Portage Public Library opened in 1927. It was located in one room over the old borough building. The library was kept in operation during those years through personal contributions of time and money! In 1961 the Portage Public Library became a member of the Cambria County Library Plan, thereby qualifying for both state and county aid. A charter for the library was obtained, and the Portage Library Association was incorporated.